Monday 6 January 2014

Mommy Brain - Keeping on Top of Things (Sort of)

Mommy Brain: when you are pregnant/have children and you start to lose your mind.  Milk goes into the pantry, you have no idea why you went into the kitchen, you forget anything that is not written on a list and then forget the list at home.  The term is used to describe how forgetful and dazed women can be, mostly during pregnancy.



There are plenty of articles on the internet detailing how/why they believe, scientifically, "mommy brain" happens.  I am not going to get into all of that here.  Quite frankly, they all have different ideas and I just don't have the time or want to research it all.  Short story short, being pregnant makes my brain turn to goo.

Normally, I have remarkable memory recall.  However, when I am pregnant that all goes down the drain.  The first time I got pregnant I had sticky notes stuck pretty much everywhere in my house for everything and anything.  Luckily, I was more prepared for this pregnancy.

Here are a few tips of how I keep on top of things:


  1. Google Calendar -
    My Calendar for January 2014 so far...
    Google Calendar is my saviour.  











Since my very first doctors appointment everything has been going into that neat little thing.  Every appointment card, every central scheduling letter and every activity for Baby A go into Google Calendar as soon as I make them.  I can set my own alarms/reminders, colour code everything and put in additional notes and addresses.  Best thing - I can access it on any computer and even on my iPhone.  I would seriously be lost without this.
     2. iPhone - Or any smartphone for that matter.  
I access my all-important Google Calendar on my phone.  I also have all the phone numbers for my doctors and the hospital stored in the phone.  I get my email reminders for appointments sent there as pop-ups in the morning.  The "notes" app is also handy so as long as I remember my phone, I remember my "to-get" list.
      3. Post-It Notes -
 


Even in this age of technology some things will never beat a piece of paper and a pen.  I have a couple of "to-do" lists taped/stuck to my computer desk reminding me of things that need to be done around the house.




      

 

4. Google Drive - Okay, I am a pretty big advocate of Google but I love the Drive so much.
Example of my Package Tracker on Google Drive using Spreadsheet
 I use the Google Drive a lot.  We have 3 computers in my house (which I use regularly) and I like to have access to my documents on all of them.  I use Google Drive to keep my list of things we still need for Baby J (which is a shared doc between my husband and I).  I also use it to keep track of orders I have made online and to make sure everything is arriving on time.



Everyone has different ways to keep on top of things, but these are the staples in my life right now (and probably after with two small children).

How do you keep on top of things?  Sound off below!  I love to hear new ideas to help me stay organized!!

No comments:

Post a Comment